BVA investigates online school threat
Latest News, Main
September 3, 2024

BVA investigates online school threat

By LADIMIR GARCIA lgarcia@yourmvi.com 

The Belle Vernon Area School District responded last week to an online threat targeted at BVA High School.

The threat was made through the social media platform Snapchat, prompting an investigation into the post. The incident happened Thursday during the school day.

“Earlier today, a student brought to our attention there was a vague threat made via Snapchat; please rest assured that, as always, we take such matters very seriously,” high school Principal Zachary Just said in a statement. “The safety and security of our students, staff and the entire school community is our top priority.”

He added that the school has worked closely with local law enforcement to investigate the threat. Just said the district has taken necessary precautions to protect students and staff.

“After a thorough investigation, it has been determined that the threat was not credible,” he said. “Our students and staff were never in imminent danger, but we will continue to remain vigilant and work closely with authorities to prevent any future incidents.”

The district has policies in place for terroristic threats and the use of electronic devices during school that can go into effect during incidents like last week’s.

The policies require students and staff to report any suspicious activities made by others online or in person that could be a threat to the school district. These responsibilities for students are also expected in the Pennsylvania state code.

“Staff members and students shall be made aware of their responsibility for informing the threat assessment team regarding any information or knowledge relevant to a possible or actual terroristic threat,” the district’s policy reads.

Just urged families to reach out to school administration with any questions or concerns regarding the incident.

“We understand that situations like this can be unsettling, and we appreciate your patience and understanding,” he said. “Our school remains committed to maintaining a safe and secure learning environment for all students.”

Mt. Calvary Baptist Church hosts Black History Month celebration
Latest News, Main
February 17, 2026
Members of the Gems youth program walk down the aisle at Mt. Calvary Baptist Church in Monessen during Sunday’s celebration of Black History Month. Heather Hart / For the Mon Valley Independent
Divers search river for Monongahela man missing since last weekend
Latest News, Main
By TAYLOR BROWN, Senior Reporter 
February 17, 2026
Shelby Rhodes hasn’t been seen since Feb. 7. Fire departments from across the region have logged dozens of hours along the Monongahela River in an ongoing search for Shelby Rhodes, a 26-year-old man m...
Salt shortage leads to state of emergency in White Oak
Latest News, Main
By SARAH PELLIS spellis@yourmvi.com 
February 17, 2026
Borough officials said the public shouldn’t be alarmed, as it just provides more options to replenish the supply. White Oak council declared a state of emergency during Monday’s meeting due to a deple...
West Newton Bridge project: Temporary span to keep town connected
Around The Valley, Latest News, Main
February 17, 2026
The renovation of the permanent bridge — which includes replacing the deck and repairing the trusses and substructure — is expected to be completed in 2028. By JOE NAPSHA TribLive Don Lewandowski of W...
Rostraver commissioners honor student for reporting incident with gun
Latest News, Main
By LADIMIR GARCIA lgarcia@yourmvi.com 
February 17, 2026
Tyler Miller’s actions resulted in the recovery of two stolen firearms. A Belle Vernon Area Middle School student was recognized Monday by Rostraver Township commissioners and the police department af...