Leaders call for action on low river levels
Latest News, Main
August 9, 2024

Leaders call for action on low river levels

By LADIMIR GARCIA lgarcia@yourmvi.com 

Five federal lawmakers from Pennsylvania signed a joint letter urging the Army Corps of Engineers to address the situation.

U.S. senators and congressional leaders from both sides of the political aisle have banded together to express their concern about shallow Monongahela River levels in the Elizabeth area.

U.S. Sens Bob Casey, D-Scranton, and John Fetterman, D-Braddock, along with U.S. Reps. Chief Deputy Whip Guy Reschent haler, R-Peters Township, Summer Lee, D-Swissvale, and Chris Deluzio, D-Aspinwall, signed a joint letter asking the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Pittsburgh District to address the water level issues that emerged after a partial demolition of Locks and Dam 3 near Elizabeth.

“We continue to call on USACE to prioritize the return of the nine-foot draft for comme rcial barge traffic and request the Corps provide ongoing updates to the regional inland waterway community,” the letter states. “Any additional delays will have steep economic costs for southwestern Pennsylvania. Keeping this waterway safe and navigable in the long run is critical to the region’s economy and way of life.”

The Army Corps has been facing backlash from local residents about low water levels on the Mon River and shoreline exposure since the first controlled demolition to remove the dam July 10. Army Corps officials previously said water levels were supposed to drop only two to three feet.

The demolition of Locks and Dam 3 is part of the Lower Monongahela River Project that started in 1992 and involves facilities in Elizabeth, Charleroi and Braddock. The project is expected to add $200 million annually to the region’s economy.

“This insufficient water depth required the Corps to impose navigation restrictions that have scrambled barge traffic creating delays and trapping vessels above the lock, reduced the raw amount of commodities carried on many barges that do move through the lock by 25% and cost industry several millions of dollars per week by early estimates,” the letter states.

Col. Nicholas Melin, commander of the U.S. Army Corps Pittsburgh District, said issues regarding the river water levels should be resolved by Aug. 28. He called it the Corps’ number one priority.

“Since we identified the potential low water level in the lock chamber at Elizabeth Lock and Dam on the 15th of July, we’ve been working side by side with our industry and congressional stakeholders to return to a navigational depth that is acceptable for full traffic,” Melin said.

Melin added that the locks and dam still is open for recreational and commercial use 24 hours a day, but he says the official channel will not be able to be used for recreational use until Dec. 4.

“We are on track to deliver a 100-foot navigation channel in the middle of the Monongahela River through the dam no later than Aug. 28. That channel will be for industry usage, so industry will move through that channel,” Melin said. “The lock chamber at Elizabeth locks and dam is open for recreational traffic, and recreators should use the

lock chamber until the full channel has opened.”

Melin said that anyone using the lock and dam for recreational use can contact the staff through their radio or simply get the attention of the lock operator.

Melin said the change of water levels is inevitable and is something the Army Corps and community will have to work together in. According to Melin, the Army Corps has also been working with local marinas to advise them on changes and what permitting requirements are available to them to adjust their facilities.

“We appreciate the patience of the community as we complete these final steps in construction, and we’re working hard to accelerate the removal of the dam, to open up that 30 miles of navigational, free navigation, as soon as possible,” Melin said.

Pancake tradition unites Valley on Shrove Tuesday
Latest News, Main
By TAYLOR BROWN, Senior Reporter 
February 18, 2026
The annual event serves as a fundraiser for Belle Vernon Area Rotary. Hot griddles, stacks of pancakes and a steady line of guests marked another year of service as Belle Vernon Area Rotary hosted its...
Work starts on McKeesport-Duquesne Bridge
Latest News, Main
February 18, 2026
Work on the nearly 100-year-old structure is expected to continue through late 2028. By the MVI Lane restrictions began Monday, marking the start of the $51 million McKeesport-Duquesne Bridge project....
BVA appoints new assistant superintendent
Latest News, Main
By LADIMIR GARCIA lgarcia@yourmvi.com 
February 18, 2026
Marion Elementary School Principal Dr. Eric Knorr will move into the position beginning July 1. At Tuesday’s meeting, the Belle Vernon Area school board appointed a current district administrator to f...
Glassport to join VIPR license plate network
Latest News, Main
By By THOMAS LETURGEY For the MVI 
February 18, 2026
Police Chief Shawn DeVerse is hoping to add two more license plate readers in the borough. Glassport council approved a motion Tuesday to enter into an agreement with Allegheny County District Attorne...
RWNES issues alert about subscription notice mixup
Around The Valley, Latest News, Main
By TAYLOR BROWN, Senior Reporter 
February 18, 2026
A nearby ambulance provider mistakenly sent notices to homes in the RWNES coverage area. Rostraver West Newton Emergency Services is advising residents that Mutual Aid EMS, a neighboring ambulance pro...
Verizon chosen as cable provider in West Mifflin
Latest News, Main
By SARAH PELLIS spellis@yourmvi.com 
February 18, 2026
The company will receive a five-year agreement with service expected to start within 60 to 90 days. West Mifflin’s new cable provider will be Verizon Pennsylvania LLC. Council approved the cable franc...