Charleroi: Participants must register for decorating contest
Latest News
December 8, 2020

Charleroi: Participants must register for decorating contest

By Mon Valley Independent

By TAYLOR BROWN

tbrown@yourmvi.com

The Charleroi Area Fire Department is hoping residents choose to get in the holiday spirit this year.

President Glenn Shipley said the department hosted its first annual Christmas decorating contest last year.

Though prizes were given to first, second and third place, residents were not required to officially register to participate in the contest. 

“Last year we decided to do something, just to show people we want to be involved in our communities and to get people excited for the holidays,” Shipley said. “We kind of just put it out there but didn’t redo registration.

“Instead, it took us like three hours to visit every house on every street in all of our communities. It was a lot.”

This year, the department is requiring residents to register their homes if they would like to be considered. 

Residents in Charleroi, Speers, Dunlevy and Twilight can register their homes at no cost by emailing cfd33@comcast.net and providing their name and address.

Members of the fire department are not eligible to win.

The contest will be judged by three people not affiliated with the department, including one public official, who has not been determined, and two business owners, who have not yet been announced.

“I will take our three judges to each residence that registered,” Shipley said. “Our judges will vote for each home on a scale of one to five. Then, after we have visited each house, we will tally up the results to determine who came in first, second and third place.”

Winners will receive $100, $75 and $50 gift cards to local restaurants.

Shipley said all prizes were funded solely by the fire department.

“This is all us,” he said. “This is something that we do to give back to our community. It is not a donation to us, or for us, it’s just us getting involved.”

To read the rest of the story, please see a copy of Wednesday’s Mon Valley Independent, call 724-314-0035 to subscribe or subscribe to our online edition at http://monvalleyindependent.com.

Monessen unveils 4 new police vehicles thanks to state funding
Latest News, Main
By TAYLOR BROWN, Senior Reporter 
August 13, 2026
City officials worked with state legislators to obtain grants for the purchase of the much-needed cruisers. Police vehicles rack up a different kind of mileage — long shifts, constant stops and starts...
Elizabeth Township Fire Department celebrating a century of service
Latest News, Main
By SARAH PELLIS spellis@yourmvi.com 
August 13, 2026
The celebration begins at 6 tonight at the Boston Spectrum. A century of service and community dedication is a milestone worth celebrating. And, starting today, the Elizabeth Township Fire Department ...
EF finance committee mulling ways to cut expenses
Around The Valley, Latest News, Main
By SARAH PELLIS spellis@yourmvi.com 
August 13, 2026
The Elizabeth Forward School Board heard possible ways to trim the budget ahead of next year. The Elizabeth Forward School Board may be eyeing budget cuts following a finance committee meeting earlier...
Fire displaces Monessen family
Around The Valley, Latest News, Main
By MICHAEL VINSICK mvinsick@yourmvi.com 
August 13, 2026
The house is located across from the city police and No. 1 fire stations. A Monessen family living across from the city police station and No. 1 fire department didn’t have to wait long for help to ar...
West Mifflin to buy electric garbage truck
Around The Valley, Latest News, Main
August 13, 2026
By THOMAS LETURGEY For the MVI West Mifflin will soon add a new electric garbage truck to its fleet of vehicles. Next week, council will vote to approve payment for a 2027 Battle Motors Electric Garba...